SMALL BUSINESS AND STARTUP RESOURCES
Hello Entrepreneurs and Innovators!! Below is a detailed list of small business and startup resources to accelerate sustainability and social innovation. Links include resources in sustainable business, social enterprise, small business, startups and nonprofit.
All Around Overview of Statistics on Global Entrepreneurs Resources and Ecosystem
This section gives an overview of the greater global entrepreneurs ecosystem
- Database and map of business plan contests worldwide
- Startup Accelerators Map around the world
- MBA Programs – global list – 2026 programs internationally
- MBA Programs – national directory
- List of Accelerators for Startups – National and International (F6S)
- List of Seed Accelerator Programs – Worldwide by Seed-DB
Accelerators & Incubators, Fellowships & Contests
This section offers an overview of the many different funding, mentorship and service options.
- 50 Fellowship Programs in Social Enterprise
- Acumen Fellows
- Aspen Institute First Mover Fellows and Aspen Institute Henry Crown Fellows
- Draper Richards Foundation
- Echoing Green Fellowship
- Entrepreneurship Roundtable Accelerator
- Founders Institute
- Gramercy Labs Collective
- Start-up Accelerator and Incubator Programs for Social Entrepreneurs
- PopTech Social Innovation Fellows Program
- Schwab Foundation Fellows Program
- Skoll Global Social Benefit Incubator
- Social Venture Network
- Sprout Box
- TED Fellows
- Unreasonable Institute Incubator
- William James Foundation – Business Plan Competition
- Women-Owned Business Resources
- Y Combinator
A Benefit Corporation is the new corporate structure for socially and environmentally responsible businesses. Here’s some resources:
- How to Become a Benefit Corporation
- What is B Corporation?
- Find a Benefit Corporation
- State by Status Status and Info on Legislation of Benefit Corporation
Basic info on how to research websites, purchase domain names and brands on social networks, as well as trademark search.
This section provides concrete on and offline resources on exactly how to write a business plan.
- Business Model Canvas
- Dave McClure: Your Solution is Not my Problem
- SBA.gov Business Plan Resources
- Seth Godin: The Modern Business Plan
- How to Start a Social Enterprise
- How to Start an LLC
Advice on how to startup a cooperative, incorporate, structure and find probono legal resources to launch and grow a cooperative, with California as example.
- Center for Co-operatives, University of Wisconsin – Cooperative Startup Resources
- Legal Sourcebook for California Cooperatives
- University of California Cooperative Extension – A Legal Sourcebook for California Cooperatives: Startup & Administration (complete course materials and downloaded book
- Co-op Law – Glossary of Terms
- SBA (Small Business Administration) – Choose Your Business Structure/Cooperative
- Shareable – How to Start a Worker Coop
- Democracy at Work Institute – List of Cooperative Startup Resources
Coworking and free spaces are new resources available through incubators or membership, with global links and focus on New York City.
- Coworking Map – Spaces Around the World
- Wiki on Coworking Spaces worldwide
- List of Coworking Directories
- Complete List of NYC Tech Incubators and Coworking Spaces
- Free spaces: NYPL’s SIBL, Wix Lounge, Foundation Center Library
- Wiki of Coworking spaces in NYC
Crowdfunding and Funding Sources
Tap into the crowd in order to fund your ventures.
- Community Sourced Capital
- Enable Funding
- Enable Impact
- Funders Club
- Global Giving
- Invested In
- Kiva Zip
- See Your Impact
- Start Some Good
- Startup Exemption
Design for Social Change
Branding, design, communications and innovation are merging. This list provides info across this space.
- Aiga – Design for Good
- Canva – tool for do it yourself design with no design skills needed
- Quora answers: What are the Best Design Blogs / Most Influential Design Blogs
- Ideo – Tools by Ideo
Directories of Social Enterprises and Nonprofits
This section links to portals to search for existing social enterprises and nonprofits.
Advice on how to incorporate, structure and find probono legal resources, with New York City as example.
- Community Resource Exchange
- How to Find a Fiscal Sponsor: FAQ from Grant Space
- International Senior Lawyers Project
- Lawyers Alliance for New York
- New York Lawyers for the Public Interest
- NYC Business Solutions Center
- NYC Gov Nonprofit Resources
- NYC Small Business Resource Center
- The Ultimate Checklist by Nonprofit Coordinating Committee of New York
- Volunteer Lawyers for the Arts
Market research is key to all types of ventures. This section provides local and online resources.
- 15 Databases: Market Research Databases New York Public Library
- Foundation Directory Online Professional
- Idealist.org Resource Directory
Metrics & Evaluation
There are dozens of evaluation and monitoring options. Below are four simple free services to track links, words, sites and keywords.
Joining affinity groups and networks is the best way to get support. Here are a few examples focused on nonprofits, social entrepreneurship and social innovation.
- Ellevate Network
- Emerging Practitioners in Philanthropy (EPIP)
- Independent Sector
- National Council of Nonprofits
- Net Impact
- Social Venture Network (SVN)
- Young Nonprofit Professionals Network (YNPN)
- Young Women Social Entrepreneurs (YWSE)
There are dozens of different online options for nonprofits. Below are some of the most commonly used.
- Complete Guide to Online Donation Software Platforms
- Digital Marketing as a Nonprofit by Mailchimp
- First Giving
- Network for Good
- SalesForce Foundation Nonprofit products
Do-it-yourself PR for a nonprofit or social enterprise is possible with these basic free resources.
- Instant Press Release by Duct Tape Marketing
- Muck Rack
There are scores of social media sites. Below are the most commonly used sites.
This section provides training resources that offer classroom, experiential and online instruction options.
- Business and Startup Resource list by Cleverism
- Carol Sanford Institute Regenerative Business Education
- Fast Trac Kauffman Foundation’s free class to launch a new venture
- Foundation Center
- General Assembly
- Grant Space’s Training by Foundation Center
- Guide to Financial Literacy and Investing in a Business by Annuity
- Lynda.com online training videos
- Startup Weekend events to launch a startup and learn in a weekend
Website Builder Software
Free, open source, blogging and content platforms are available resources for all ventures.
Website Builder Reviews & Start Guides
- Review of the Best Website Builders by Scott Chow
- Best Website Builder and How to Start a Blog by Design Bombs
- All the Website Builders Evaluated by Robert Mening
- Interactive Review of Website Builders by Cloudwards.net
- How to Make a Website by Make A Website Hub
- A Complete Beginners Guide by Sitebeginner
- Freeletics – mobile platform for complete customized on demand fitness programs
- Ginger.io – mobile platform for 24/7 care for stress, anxiety and mental health
- Meditation at Work resources by Journey Meditation
- Mental Health America resource guide
- Organic Food resource list by USDA
- Sleep resources by Tuck
- UCLA free guided meditations
- Blueprint To A Better Night’s Sleep & Improved Mental Health by Best Sleep Health
- Vipassana Meditation – free 10 day meditation courses
Wild & Wonderful Links from the Community
Random links submitted from users from all over the world, which didn’t fit into our list of categories, but that we wanted to include in the directory!
- Business Plan Template & Resource Guide by Growthink
- Earning a Bachelor’s Degree in Video Game Design
- Excel Easy
- Family Emergency & Unexpected Bills Resources
- Financial Literacy by Annuity.org
- Guide to Nonprofit Jobs & Careers [Complete Guide]
- How to Write the Perfect Business Plan by Inc.com
- In-Depth Guides to Starting an LLC (& Maintaining it) in Any State
- Investing in a Business by Annuity.org
- Public Policy Careers Resource Guide by Best Colleges
- Using a Virtual Office to Set Up A Business
- Womens Business Resources by Danny DeMichele
Don’t see your favorite resource? Just contact us and let us know your thoughts, and we are happy to add it to this page!